Thursday, January 20, 2011

Is being a part of youth generation a curse?

We proudly tag ourselves being a part of 21st century's youth. We study in co-educational system of education, make friends, work as colleagues irrespective of their gender, age, caste or color. But that is just the case in metropolitan cities. The semi-urban and rural areas still doesn't support the modernization. They still think co-educational system is corrupting the atmosphere and the youth.

While traveling through a local train to Delhi, I came across this truth a day before. This is not the first time I heard this. It has been scorching my soul from a long time. Trying to achieve the overall development for the country it has been unfortunate to hear this from the citizens of the country that cellphones are spoiling the youth. However, they are right but partially. Adopting a technology for its best part is essential for the development. But ignoring it just because few people are misusing it and blaming the whole generation on their part.

Even after trying so hard to keep myself busy in the novel I was reading, I could not resist listening to the two ladies who were sitting by my side and other in my front, all in fiftieth of their age. As per my knowledge they didn't even know each other and somehow entered into the discussion of the spoiling generation. I started feeling that somehow its true you cannot keep two ladies quiet for too long.

Their discussion started with child marriage and ended with the spoiled generation, eloping from their homes, getting into relationships, love marriages or inter-caste to be specific.

According to them one should not get education more than fifth standard, should not use technologies, or rather cellphones. And this case was just not for gals this goes for boys as well as per they quoted.

Slowly their discussion shifted towards girls and their modern thinking. They had a problem with everything they do, they demand, they wear, they talk, they look. Being a girl sitting in that discussion I was feeling awkward specially when after every statement passed by them their eyes shifted to me, scanning me from head to toe. It was my responsibility to answer them on behalf of the folks they were blaming for no reason irrespective of the fact that all fingers in a hand are not of same size.

But their was no use of talking to them instead getting insulted. They would never understand our point of view. Debating with them no matter how polite I try to be would seem to them as if I am trying to insult them. Aware of the fact, I did what I should have done, doing justice to my generation, to the education I am getting and to the country I owe. The result was as expected.

But i feel content that I atleast presented my view though I know I was unsuccessful in convincing them. No one could have. But it forced me to think no matter how much we progress and get familiar with the NEW MEDIA we still have a lot to do, a bigger way to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment